Flesher Field, located at 3664 South 9th Street, is a popular destination for field games, family gatherings, and special events. A key attraction of this 24-acre park is the large open sports field available for soccer, football, and other games. The newly upgraded park also features a playground, two picnic pavilions, two wiffleball fields, accessible restrooms, a .17 mile paved loop trail, and a gazebo and garden area. Park improvements were funded through a grant from the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund with financial support from the Oshtemo Rotary Club, the Consumers Sunburst Run, and Oshtemo Township.
In addition to the active recreation area, Flesher Field has 12 acres of woodlands west of the sports field. The woodlands feature a canopy of white oaks interspersed with red and black oaks and hickory trees and support many species of wildlife, especially birds and butterflies. Future plans call for improvements to the informal walking trails located here.
Flesher Field is home to Oshtemo Fun Day, a free family event sponsored by the Oshtemo Rotary Club each August. The Kalamazoo Scottish Festival holds its annual Highland Games at Flesher Field in August.
The larger picnic pavilion (35′ x 35′), shown at right, is available for rental. It is handicap accessible, has two charcoal grills, and holds 9 picnic tables. It can be rented for a full day (11am – 8pm) or a half day (11am-3pm or 4pm – 8pm). No rentals are available on holidays. Click to view dates and times available or download a rental application. The smaller picnic pavilion, also handicap accessible, is available on a first come-first serve basis.
Oshtemo Township’s new gazebo and garden area can be rented for outdoor weddings, concerts, and other special events. All rentals include the following:
- 20’ wide gazebo surrounded by garden beds filled with flowering shrubs, ornamental grasses, and wildflowers.
- A crushed stone center aisle designed for the bride’s big entrance with an aisle on each side for arriving guests.
- Lawn area with space for approximately 200 guests, gently sloped to maximize views of the gazebo (chairs not provided).
- Tent space, if desired (tent not provided).
- Electricity is available at the gazebo and designated tent space.
- A 35’ x 35’ picnic pavilion is located nearby and can be rented with the gazebo and garden area for an additional fee. The picnic pavilion includes 9 picnic tables.
- The park also features a new playground, wiffleball fields, restrooms, a second picnic shelter, mowed playing field, and a paved loop trail. Please note that the park remains open to the public during your rental period.
- The park is open from dawn to half an hour after sunset. Events after dark are not permitted.
- Alcohol not permitted.
- Click to view dates and times available or download a rental application.