Burn Ordinance & Burn Permits
When performing Open Burning, the following rules and regulations must be followed in reference to the Burn Ordinance adopted by the Charter Township of Oshtemo on January 10, 1995:
- Prior to any burning, the applicant shall obtain a burning permit from the Township Fire Department at 269-375-0487 or by clicking the link below.
- Open Burning shall be performed only when weather conditions are favorable and wind conditions are no grater than 15mph in any direction.
- Open burning shall be conducted with a distance of 25 feet from any structure or any other combustible materials and a distance of 50 feet for piles greater than 3 feet wide by 2 feet high.
- The open burning of brush, vegetation, grass clippings or leaves is permitted; however, material containing paper products, building material, lumber, or lumber products is prohibited unless it is being burned in a burn barrel.
- A garden hose or fire extinguisher shall be readily available at the burning site.
- Burning materials shall be constantly attended and supervised until the fire is completely extinguished.
- The Chief (or his authorized representative) shall require that open burning be immediately discontinued if he determines that smoke emissions are offensive to occupants of surrounding property or if the burning is determined to constitute a hazardous condition.
In the event the Burning Ordinance is violated, a Municipal Civil Infraction will be issued.
Following is a listing of the costs:
First Offense $ 75.00
Second Offense within 3 years of first offense $150.00
Third Offense within a 3-year period $325.00
Fourth and each subsequent offense within a 3-year period are each $500.00
This letter is intended as a “friendly warning” only. We are confident that now you are aware of the Burn Ordinance you will be certain to obtain the proper permit and follow the rules as listed above. If you have any questions or concerns, please address them to the Fire Department Monday – Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.